Food insecurity is a critical issue for children across the country, with many families using school-based breakfast and lunch programs to access to at least two meals each day. The challenge is made worse by the COVID-19 pandemic and its economic impact, with families struggling to put food on the table.
In place of Granite United Way’s traditional Day of Caring, the non-profit launched the Smart Start Cereal Campaign which empowers communities to support children and families by donating cereal and other non-perishable breakfast items. This safe, no/low-touch engagement opportunity will help students start each day with the fuel they need to learn and grow.
“The spirit of giving back is alive and well across each of Granite United Way’s six regions. We’ve been working with local volunteers and corporate partners to ensure that even though our traditional Day of Caring may look different – we are still able to provide help this fall,” says Patrick Tufts, President and CEO of Granite United Way. “Giving individuals and families a ‘smart start’ will benefit thousands. We are grateful for the way so many have reached out to launch this unique effort!”
The Smart Start Cereal Campaign will run from September 16, 2020 through October 16, 2020.
Companies can host a cereal drive at their location OR Text GUWFEEDS to 41444 to donate.
Regional contacts for Granite United Way’s cereal drive:
- Central Region: Contact Tiffany Pena at 603.524.6864 x1 or Tiffany.Pena@graniteuw.org
- Merrimack County: Contact Marla May Brown at 603.224.2595 x221 or Marlamay.Brown@graniteuw.org
- Northern Region and North Country: Contact Laura Boucher at 603.752.3343 or Laura.Boucher@graniteuw.org
- Southern Region / Greater Manchester: Amanda Ruggles 603.625.6939 x127 or Amanda.Ruggles@graniteuw.org
- Upper Valley: Contact Katie Berndsen at 603.298.8499 x107 or Katie.Berndsen@graniteuw.org
Additional information can be found on www.graniteuw.org.