NH Governor Chris Sununu has authorized the allocation and expenditure of CARES Act Coronavirus Relief Funds (“flex funds”) to provide emergency financial relief to support New Hampshire self-employed, for-profit businesses due to the economic disruption caused by COVID-19.
The Self Employed Livelihood Fund grant award amounts will be calculated similarly to the Main Street Relief Fund, with the maximum award amount a business can receive is $50,000.
The State of New Hampshire is not directing businesses on how to spend the money. Businesses must demonstrate they have experienced or anticipate they will experience a financial loss due to COVID-19 in order to qualify for a Self Employed Livelihood Fund Grant. It is expected that businesses will use the funds to assist in covering their operational costs and legal obligations.
Self-employed individuals can apply for relief under the new fund from July 6 through 17.
For a self-employed business to qualify for a SELF Grant, it must:
- Be a “self-employed” business;
- Please note: For purposes of the New Hampshire SELF Program, a “self-employed” business is a business that does not have any employees except owners at any time during the year, including any furloughed, laid-off, or seasonal employees. The business may be a sole proprietorship, partnership, or limited liability company (LLC). If one or more non-owner employees typically work for a business at any time during the year, including any furloughed, laid-off, or seasonal employees, the business is not a “self-employed” business. Independent contractors are not employees; an independent contractor has a “self-employed” business.
- Be a for-profit business;
- Have its principal place of business in New Hampshire;
- Have been in operation for at least one year before July 17, 2020;
- Anticipate a loss of gross receipts from 2019 to 2020 due to COVID-19;
- Have total 2019 gross receipts of less than $1,000,000;
- Not be currently in bankruptcy;
- Not have permanently ceased operations; and
- Not have been awarded a Main Street Relief Fund Grant.